The Christian Brothers
Background / Ethos
Coláiste Choilm is a Catholic school founded by The Christian Brothers
in 1967. It combines a strong emphasis on academic achievement with a caring
attitude to all its students. The school follows the Christian Brothers'
philosophy of creating a community of students whose central purpose is the
religious, moral, intellectual, physical and social education of the
student. This community seeks to create an atmosphere of Christian care and
concern in which the student can grow to maturity.
The school is committed to:
- respecting the dignity of the student with his background, tradition and
beliefs, valuing the potential of each and encouraging the strong to support
- enabling the student to develop a healthy self-image and to form
positive relationships with others;
- encouraging in the student a sence of creativity and of collaboration
- promoting the student's appreciation of his cultural heritage;
- preparing the student through academic and technical training for his
vocational role in life;
- providing opportunities for the student to experience God in the wonder
of creation, in worship and in service of others;
- developing a critical sence in the student, helping him to challenge the
forces that threaten human life;
- providing a disciplined atmosphere in which the student is encouraged to
grow in freedom and to take increasing responsibility for his education and
for the life of the school community.
Choice of Subjects
Junior Certificate students take Irish, English, Maths,
History, Geography, Science and Business Studies. They also choose options
from French, German, Art, Music, Woodwork and Technical Graphics.
Senior Students must take Irish, English, Maths and choose
four other subjects from the Leaving Certificate list above. Every effort is
made to ensure that students get the opportunity to study subjects they like
at a level related to their ability and commitment.
Career Guidance: A qualified Career Guidance Counsellor is
available to our students.
- The main sporting activities of the school are -
- Our students also take part in -
- Each year a group is taken on a trip to a continental destination.
- Under staff supervision, students runa sweet shop and copy shop.
- Students are encouraged to enter the Aer Lingus Young Scientist
exhibition. Over the years the school has had much success with this
Management: The school is managed by a Board of Management which is
responsible to the Trustees, The Irish Christian Brothers. The Board
consists of four persons nominated by the Trustees, two lay teachers elected
by the staff and two parents.
Parents: The primary right and obligation to educate young people
belongs to their parents. In choosing Coláiste Choilm, parents
subscribe to the philosophy of the Christian Brothers' school.
Parents are encouraged to exercise their right and obligation by:
- giving the school their trust and co-operation;
- ensuring that their children respect, obey and co-operate with their
- supporting the various activities of school life;
- involving themselves with the School Parents' Council.
Students: Students are encouraged towards a mature acceptance of
responsibility. The class captain system which is currently being developed
is aimed at building clear channels of communication between the students
and the school authorities.
Back to EduNet Homepage
Internet Ireland Homepage